Saturday, July 13, 2013

Site visit

Finally, the day came and we were sent to our new homes for a weekend visit. I think most of us wanted it to just be over, we were excited but just as equally afraid of what we'd find. First we headed into our training site in the city where we were each introduced to our school Director or partner teacher, which was my case. My partner is Maria - interestingly enough the 3 woman I will have the most contact with are named Maria. She is a very beautiful (as are so many of the woman in this country) and as sweet as can be. We immediately felt comfortable with each other but what convinced me that we were a good match is that in our meeting she wrote  a note on her page and turned it to me to read it. I think this is the grown-up way of "passing notes" and I do it all the time, usually making some wise-crack joke.

It was a long trip to my new home of Taraclia. I left home at 7:30 and arrived at 12:30. Fortunately on the way back I found a quicker route an made it in 3.5 hours. That is a very long ride under any circumstances but on a "maxi-taxi" the time seems double. But at least for these long distance drives you actually purchase a numbered seat.  The idea of standing while being crushed for that long is unbearable. But still the bumps and swerves of these little vans are pretty bad and that ride seemed to have set off some pretty heavy duty motion sickness that has now lasted almost a week. I finally gave in and went to the doctor who has loaded me up with anti-nausea drugs and to my great disappointment (NOT) I have to stay home and miss language class this morning.

Moldova is well known for two things, its wine and sunflower oil. Here sunflowers are a crop that is harvested for their seeds and oil, it's not like home where they are seen as just pretty yellow flowers.  There are miles and miles of them, they travel across fields, up hills and down mountains,  blankets of yellow and yellow and yellow. Stunning to look at, I had my nose pressed against the window (figuratively of course - yuck) saying WWOOOWWW while Maria laughed at me, she said she no longer "sees them". And all across the county there are miles and miles of grapes that will be harvested in a few months. Unfortunately I was unable to take pictures since I was in the van, but I have two years here so expect to see photos of them. I said it before, I'll say it again, Moldova is a very beautiful country! I have come to realize that Moldovans are very proud of that fact. It is not unusual for them to  ask "do you like Moldova" or "what do you think of Moldova" very shortly after you have met them.

My new host family, Maria (yes, "Mom" is also Maria) and her new husband picked us up at the bus station (well more like a bus booth, a small kiosk that sells tickets and you stand outside). They brought me to my new home.
This is driving up to my home, I am about 15 min walking from downtown and 15 from my school, which I can already see will be a great challenge in the winter.
 
 
There are 2 homes, this is my front door, I am in the  casa mica "little house" (photo taken from the main home) 
 
And from the casa mica I am looking at the main house
 

 
 



And yes... this is what it looks like. They said they are building an indoor bathroom, lets all say a little prayer for Sandra's toilet shall we? I will spare you a view of the inside...

 
 
Before I arrived they told the PC they were doing the Casa Mica over, this includes my bedroom which is very very nice
 
 
Outside of my room is the room where,  much to my surprise Mama Maria slept the 2 nights I was there instead of inside her regular house! But.... in my bedroom door there is a huge window so each time Mama went past she looked in. Twice tried to open my door (which I had locked) saying "Sandra...." the first time she didn't seem to like what I was sleeping in (man's t-shirt and shorts) so she insisted I take one of her "babushka" nightgowns. The second time she woke me at 4 am to get to the bus, 15 min away, leaving at 6. I have requested the PC to let her  know I need a curtain but I know she does it because she cares.  Some of us notice there are 2 kinds of host families. There are those that do it for the  money  (which hey... that's fine with me, they need money I'm happy to rent) and there are those special ones that genuinely care - this is what I got, a wonderful woman who is happy to have an  American volunteer in her home to take care of, AND she's trying to learn English words! Very cute. She was all hugs and kisses when I arrived and when I left. I think that for the most part it's usually  a mix of both... yes they need the income and yes, the genuinely care.
 
 
Xorosho, Da?
 
OK now for a reality check....
  
I'm not sure what they mean by a new bathroom being built but this is the one I get for now. I was thrilled when I saw this big tub and stood their confused as she hustled and bustled around me placing that wooden contraption across the tub. I then stood and waited while those 2 tubs appeared. So here is how it goes.... That silver one goes into the tub to stand in. The blue is filled with the water to bathe in. And right there in the front is the cup you can use. The tub you stand in is to prevent the water from going down the drain, as I've mentioned before, they just don't have the kind of plumbing and septic system we're use to. Now the GREAT NEWS is that there is a hot water tank. YES!!! Hot water.
 

 
 
People of Moldova are very proud of their food and feeding their guests, this can be a problem for many, they don't like to take no for answer. And using ya sita (i'm full) or shoot-shoot (just a little) means nothing...
 
When I arrived I had a real feast, so much food and all great. That I don't have a picture of but this is my morning breakfast - I did get out of eating fish stew at 8 am. Speaking of fish... (which we aren't allowed to eat due to water quality - hooray! Because I don't LIKE fish) the night before I went into the main house to brush my teeth and there in the sink was a pile of dead fish. So... where do you spit the toothpaste? .... when you have many fish eyes looking at you do you spit on top of them?? Is that rude? AAHH one of my first Moldovan etiquette problems...
 
 
 
The really great thing about my town is that it is pretty modern downtown with shops where you can buy everything you need (I think!).  And recently for their 200th anniversary they spiffed it up, built new things and fixed up a pretty park that is now a WiFi park. Maria (teacher not mama) took me here for ice cream (there is ice cream everywhere).

Xорошо, Da?
 

 
One of the things I love about Moldova is everywhere you look there is this odd mix of old and new, somehow they work well together
 

 
 
Local Church...
Xорошо Da?
 
 
Maria (teacher) had me over for a wonderful dinner with her family, her husband speaks little English  so with my very shoot-shoot amount of Russian and Bulgarian and his shoot-shoot English we survived for a short time without Maria in the room.  She has a beautiful 5 yr old son and they live with her (or his) parents, which is very common throughout Eastern Europe.  Her boy was very shy but it helped when I pulled out a lollypop and stickers I had brought from home for just this kind of occasion.
 
Maria took me to the school I will be teaching at. Not so different from home, nice size, clean and newly painted each year, the classroom doesn't seem scary yet, but come September it will! I had a short meeting with the director with Maria to translate (guess what her name is? Maria) and she seemed nice.
 
While in town I met with 2 volunteers that are now there, Brendon who presently is an English teacher (at a different school) and leaving in a few weeks, Sylvia, who will be there one more year (thank god!) and Marjorie who is my group and will be there 2 years with me (thank god!).
 
Everywhere you go there are kitties  and kittens...
 
 
Even though Maria and I  just ate, while we were at Brendon's his host mom insisted we eat again (if you look hard you can see her squeezed in the middle). That's Maria in the back.


And Marjorie, my co-volunteer stationed with me who will be actually moving into Brendan's home.


Brendan took us for a walk to this amazing cemetery with a gorgeous view of the valley. It's huge and has many paths to wander. There are mini picnic table throughout for family members of their loved one that is buried there

 
OK enough for today... to sum it all up, I am lucky, especially compared to other placements (they tell us not to compare but how can you not? Especially for Janet and Casey, a great married couple, their strength is about to be REALLY tested).
 
My placement is great but it does come with a few things I will have to adjust to (oh ya did I mention laundry is done by hand all year round). But I knew that coming in.... but I have wonderful people, hot water, shops, other volunteers, hot water... oh, and hot water, did I say that already?
 
I am proud to say I survived a weekend in a Russian/Bulgarian town (and home), and I survived making it back on public transportation when I can't communicate with anyone (thanks to a very nice man who saw me wondering trying to find a bus and didn't speak English, but he did rescue me).
 
The adventure continues.....
 
Thanks everyone for your interest in my life/adventure/Moldova and all your well wishes and support. It means so very much to me.
 
до свидания!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is going to be really interesting to follow! Thanks for sharing so much-- keep up the positive attitude :)
    Judy (Chabot)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy, it's wonderful to know you are sharing my adventure.

    ReplyDelete