Sunday, July 28, 2013

And practice school continues on

One week of practice school has ended and much to my relief I survived. To say I am exhausted is an understatement (as well as everyone else). We teach to real students who are kind enough to volunteer to help us. We are each assigned our very own professional teacher to work with. My partner is Sylvia, she taught for 40 yrs and can do this kind of thing with her eyes shut. I am so very lucky to have her. Lesson planning for 2 classes a day takes 4-6 hours and then we have to make "props" for games and such, this is done when you get home from a 9 hr day at school. Many of us stay up to 1am, 2am, 3am.

The first class was pretty scary, but I had 12th grade who at least understood English. On the second day I had all new students, thought huh they look pretty young for 12th grade, so using what I had prepared for 12th graders, I began.  When I spoke ... nothing…. Blank faces and lots of giggling. They didn't understand a thing I was saying. As I slipped into panic mode my teacher and supervisor, who happened to be in my room to observe, realized what happened, someone sent all 9th graders to my class. EVERYTHING I prepared was based on the lessons I had for 12th graders.

At this age they need some translating done so Sylvia took over and my supervisor did an outline of simple things for me to teach. I asked her practically in tears "are you testing me! To see if I can handle this?" She said "NO Sandra! of course not, we are here to teach you and this kind of thing will never ever happen in real life”. Sometimes you forget you’re a volunteer and not an  employee who will be fired (unless you break some important rules that they have).
This week our REAL partner teachers are coming. We will be trained together on how to teach as partners for 2 weeks, 1 week with the professional teacher, 1 week just the 2 of us.
On Friday after classes there was a surprise, they were taking us to immigration YAHOO no school! We have to become citizens for 2 years to stay. Lucky for me and my very good friend Janet (who I probably couldn’t have  survived this long without her shoulder to cry on),  happened to be #1 and #2 to be processed and were out at 1:00 (just after that the power went out and our co-members had to hang around!)  

Janet and I decided it was time to break off on our own and explore.

                                                                                       Janet at the Immigration office! 

 
 

 Art and crafts in the park

 
 

 This is Kate a very friendly great English speaker that we enjoyed talking to (and helped with directions)



 
YES it is McDonalds!

 
 

 Very sad .....

 



 
 
Now keep in mind that yes the city is beautiful but don’t forget yours truly will be taking bucket baths for 2 years. I told a co-member that I had to do this and she said “ooooohh your the one that has to do that" so it seems I'll be the only one in the group lucky enough to have THAT part of the PC experience (please keep praying for that indoor toilet to appear before I get there).
We ran into other members and we decided to go for Greek food. WE NEEDED this relaxing evening...
Julianna enjoying a glass of wine.....

 
Anytime someone gets  a package from home we are all excited to watch it be opened. Haley is so happy because there are special thoughtful gifts from her boyfriend.


 
And that is it for the week....
now back school in the morning to start all over again....
 
Over and out.....

No comments:

Post a Comment