Sunday, October 6, 2013

cultural festival and a bit more


Well I must say there are some real signs that I am truly adapting to Moldova. I know longer think twice about walking through a gaggle of geese, they get out of the way.
 
I no long flinch when a car comes within 2 feet of hitting me while going around pot holes, really fast. I now understand though you CAN’T cross the road in front of cars there is a good amount of time to do it so in front of donkey carts. 
 
 I am no longer shocked at the site of coverless manholes.
 
 
I no longer stop at unusual sites of things happening I don’t understand.
 
This is a good thing I guess…. Oh, and who knew Moldova is on an earthquake fault line! Woken up last night by two good tremors. I now take my “evacuation bag” we are told to prepare much more seriously.

 


CULTURAL FESTIVAL
What a beautiful day

Went to a wonderful cultural festival, Moldovan, Romanian, Russian, Bulgarian, Gaugazian (I’m sure that is not spelled correctly but who will notice, they are people with a Turkish background and their own language) and Roma (gypsies). The music and dancing was fantastic and just wonderful to watch. I had a moment where I was swept with a kind of joy, this is exactly what I pictured myself doing on my Peace Corp journey.  I felt like I had foreseen this whole thing, 






 

 



 
 

And the other thing I pictured were  many cute children coming to me! Hello “miss Sandra”!!  and that is what they did, handing me balloons, flags, taking my picture, adorable…. I felt that no matter what happens in life THIS memory  can never be taken away from  me, a perfect moment I will always treasure. This is the stuff  I need to hang onto when the going gets rough, and as much as things are settling down, there are still some rough days to get through. I'm sure being sick all the time is not helping... my hope is that by the time I  hit 6 months I will have adapted to my new world and stop being sick!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And last but not least, my two PCV  partners, Sylvia and Marjory
 
 
 
 
  
 So after running back and forth to a kitchen with  no heat, and it is COLD OUT, making the strangest concoction I've ever made (includes canned corn, tomatoes, onions, a carrot, pasta and hot dogs) it is time for me to eat. I can't taste anything since I am sick  so it doesn't matter really how it tastes.
 
I am now cooking on  a hot plate, I think that's it for what I get from my host family for 2 years. But no problem, there are microwaves, toaster ovens and even crockpots in town to buy.
 
Oh, and thanks to Sharon and Jim for the wonderful boxes of supplies they sent full of food that only  needs water added. :-) They will come in very handy allowing me to go in and out of the kitchen real fast to cook them!
 
Over and out from Moldova. :-)
 
PS. I can't taste it but I can say the  texture is a bit unusual!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment